Don't do it! Don't mistake the halt for a stop.

 They are two entirely different maneuvers.

It LOOKS like a stop but it really isn't

Avoid using the terms 'halt' and 'stop' interchangeably. They are completely distinct. The stop is as it says - a complete stop. Done. Over with, been there. Finished. Use the stop at the end of your ride, just before you get off.

The halt is far removed from the stop. It is a movement, and as such, it is just as engaged, energy-bound, and balanced as any other movement the horse can do. Think of it as a canter - without the legs moving, or the progression through space. Picture a car stopped at the red light. The engine is on and the moment of departure is at hand. Your horse should be ready and prepared to proceed to any movement you ask directly out of the halt.

Develop a rhythm, and maintain the momentum.

The halt has a rhythm similar to the rest of the movements. It also has momentum. The horse's hind legs go underneath the body and are prepared and waiting to step into the next movement at a moment's notice.

Don't break the momentum - even when you go to halt.

If you 'stop' instead of halt, the momentum is lost and the horse loses balance, strength and precision. The body becomes flat. The legs feel like they are 'stuck in the mud'. It is virtually impossible to do anything other than stagger out of the stop. The horse seems surprised if you ask for something after the stop.

Because the secret is that the halt is still a movement.

In classical dressage, the halt is considered a movement. By definition, the halt is a "suspension of progress, especially a temporary one." It is a pause, but it is just that. Keep the horse round - similar to a nice trot - and just stop the forward progression through space.

HL Five Years
HL Bundle
HL Goal Setting
HL Book 3
HL Book 2
HL Book 1

It is NOT a stop-moving-your-feet-and-throw-it-all-away feeling.

It is more of a wait-wait-wait-and-now-GO! feeling.

You NEED your legs going into the stop!

The horse should round its back and reach further underneath the body with the hind legs - all of this happens before the halt. Use your legs to lift the back before the horse halts. Keep the horse straight and half-halt into the movement. Avoid using your hands to pull on the horse's mouth. Instead, halt from your seat. THEN, halt from the hind end. The front end remains balanced and light. The back is round, the contact is consistent. The legs will stop square if the approach into the halt is energetic, forward and balanced. 

Be ready to gracefully step out of the pause at a moment's notice - to walk, trot or canter. 

Don't do it! Don't mistake the halt for a stop!

P.S. One last thought

The "test" for the halt: the horse is round, reaching for the bit, and SQUARE with all four legs. Then you know you did it!

Finally! The Ultimate Rider-Centered Program!

Ready for something completely different? If you liked what you read here, you might be interested in the new Horse Listening Practice Sessions. 

This is NOT a program where you watch other people's riding lessons. Start working with your horse from Day 1.

Click here to read more and to join one of the most complete programs on the Internet!

Horse Listening

Don’t miss a single issue of Horse Listening! If you like what you are reading, become a subscriber and receive updates when new Horse Listening articles are published!  Your email address will not be used on any other distribution list. Subscribe to Horse Listening by Email

Buy the book for many more riding tips! Horse Listening – The Book: Stepping Forward to Effective Riding

Available as an eBook or paperback.

Horse Listening The Book

Other articles you might enjoy!

The 99% Lucky Rule: We're lucky 99% of the time when we are around horses. How to avoid the other 1%.

Speaking Horse: (a.k.a. "Pushing the Envelope"): It is important to know that speaking "horse" doesn't mean getting all cuddly and cute. Read to find out how to "speak" so that horses appreciate your presence.

Quit to Persevere: When quitting is the right thing to do.

The Truth About Balance: It isn't only about balance in the saddle - find balance in all areas of the horse's life.